This post contains affiliate links, the use of which helps support Tansey Reviews. That said, we only endorse products that we absolutely love!
Smoked Salmon over Crispy Potatoes and Sautéed Kale
If you ever need an impressive, flavorful, and unique dish to serve for an appetizer or light meal, then this is the one to try. Smoked salmon, crispy potatoes and sautéed kale are already a fantastic combination, but when you add the zesty bite of horseradish and the delightful acidity of capers, you have a real treat on your hands.
As you can see from the photos, I am still trying to master the art of potato pancake flipping… but let me assure you, the end result is just as delicious when the potato layer is in pieces rather than a whole!
This method for cooking kale is actually the standard in the Tansey household. I think kale needs a bit of softening to really shine in a meal, and sautéing gives it the perfect texture. And a splash of balsamic vinegar takes it from garnish to side dish in an instant!
Oh, and let’s talk about this sauce. With only two ingredients, you couldn’t ask for anything simpler. But oh my GOSH does the combination of “creamy” and “spicy” just blow your mind! I turned a non-salmon eater into a salmon believer with this dish, and I’m pretty sure the sauce did most of the work there.
In case you haven’t purchased smoked salmon before, this one is the brand I use. It is less expensive in a grocery store, but I figured you could use a visual 😉 As far as the capers, I’ve used several brands including this and this, but you really can’t go wrong. Any horseradish will work for the sauce, just make sure it says “prepared horseradish” instead of “horseradish sauce” or “horseradish dip”.
Oh, and a quick side not…our close friends Harry and Leah (*names have been changed to protect super secret government identities*) have a habit of smoking huge sides of Atlantic salmon on their Green Egg when we visit them…and I’ll be damned if that fresh, smoky deliciousness wouldn’t also be a perfect substitute here. Just saying. Oh and if anyone wants to buy us a Green Egg for Christmas, we wouldn’t cry or anything. XOXO.
So, friends, get ready for a savory, even sensual, culinary experience. If you try the recipe and love it, drop us a line on social media or add a comment on this post! We love hearing from you guys……
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (20-ounce) pkg refrigerated, shredded hash browns
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups fresh kale, chopped into ribbons
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 (8-ounce) pkg smoked salmon, sliced up
- ½ of a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 98-ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add hash browns, spreading them evenly over the pan. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and press down with a spatula to create a potato pancake. Cook 8-10 minutes or until browned. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and flip over carefully. Sprinkle on a little more salt and pepper. Cook an additional 8-10 minutes or until well browned. Place on a serving plate.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add kale, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sautee until the kale is well seasoned and brightens in color, about 2 minutes. Add ½ cup of water and cover. Steam until kale is softened, about 5 minutes. Splash with the balsamic vinegar and toss to coat. Lay the kale on top of the potato crisp.
- Sprinkle on the red onions, salmon, and capers.
- For the sauce, mix together ingredients and drizzle over top of everything.
<—– Look at that beauty!!
<—– I’m getting hungry again…
<—— Where’s my Prosecco?!